Murphy's Camp, Calaveras County, July 1853
quarter-plate by Isaac Wallace Baker


One of the earliest and richest gold camps, Murphy's (as locals and miners, alike, popularly called the town) was a thriving community of several thousand when this daguerreotype was made. The town was named for John and Daniel Murphy, who found $1.5 million dollars in gold in the first year of the Gold Rush.

 top

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9